Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Adopted - unedited

There was a boy, homeless, family-less, starving and freezing. He passed a large car, in which was a rich man. The man more than pitied the by, but his heart broke for him – for in the boy’s eyes, he saw the eyes of his own son. The rich man brought him back to his mansion, where the boy warmed by the enormous fireplace. Servants came. Food was brought to the boy, and his stomach was filled. His rags were exchanged for clean clothes. He was scrubbed and washed, even behind the ears. He was prepped and cleaned and straightened. And the boy developed an understanding that he had been brought here to replace the rich man’s son.

He walked into the rich man’s library, hoping to find the man, but in his absence, the boy began to examine the study. He pulled a musty book from the shelf and opened it to find only a list of names. The rich man appeared behind him, and the boy immediately began a guilty excuse, as was his habit. The rich man quieted the boy and brought him to his study desk, sitting the boy on the desk.

“Child, do you know why you are here?” said the man.

“I was… brought here,” said the boy.

“That is the truth, but do you know why?”

The boy stammered, “well… uh… you had a son once…”

“Yes I did.”

“…and you loved him very much…”

“I do love him. Very much.”

“And he doesn’t seem to live here anymore…”

“He has not lived in this house in some time.”

“So… I guess you want for… for me to be your son…”

The man smiled. “Oh, child. You cannot be the replacement of my son. My son will always be perfect in my eyes, and I love him as I love myself. You know that my son is not here now. His absence has made me see him in every child I pass by, and my love for him is so great, I have no choice by to love everyone as I love him.”

The man opened the book to a blank page. He said, “Sign your name here. You are now another of my adopted children, for I have loved you. Then I will call for my car to bring you back to the streets where I found you.”

The boy was stunned. He took the pen and scrawled his name as best he could. “You mean I’m not to live here with you?” he whispered.

“This is your home now, and will be. But for now, you are to see my son in others, as I saw him in you. I expect for you to love the others that I have not yet been able to love.”

1 comment:

  1. This is the transcribed raw writing from my notebook, dated August 5, 2009. This was one of the first tries I had at writing one of these little fable stories that have a hint of parable to them.

    ReplyDelete