Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Halfway Point of the Long Surrender

I have completed 7 of the 14 plays I have intended to write.

The Long Surrender is proving to be somewhat of a journey for myself - more than I intended it to be.  While the individual 'plays' are coming out quite quickly (most are taking about an hour and a half to write), it feels like the concept has weighed heavily over the past couple of weeks - this past two weeks particularly - so the "Long" part feels like it's living up to its name.  [though, really, I know this whole thing is going very fast, indeed]

And the process of writing a short scene every couple of days (though I've done 3 in the past 2 days) has become, out of necessity, a Surrender - where I can't linger on each play too long, I have to let one be done and move on (I'm not rewriting until I finish all 14).  So, even if I don't feel completely satisfied with a play, I surrender it.  And that's not so easy to do.

Just thinking back over the 7 plays I've written, there are already trends (I wouldn't necessarily call them repetitions).  I would like to see something different come out during the other 7 plays, but I don't want to force something - all of a sudden one of these is a slapstick comedy or something.  But a whole evening of somber scenes might be tough to make it through.  But I still rely on the fact that there's a continuity to what I'm writing because there is a continuity in an album of music - not that the plays are exactly matching the songs point by point; but inspiration is inspiration.

Given the plan of how the evening of theatre is to work out, nothing is yet sticking out as an Opener or Closer - but hopefully that will become clearer after I have the set done.

The goal: finish 7 more plays/scenes by a week from today.  A play a day.  It may go faster, but it can't go slower.  Why?  I'm leaving for a family vacation - and during that time, a conference.  The change of scenery/ venue has the chance to really change the tone of what I'm doing, and I don't want to let that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment