Monday, August 6, 2012

About... Dead Wedding - Play 04


Dead Wedding

Right up front - I'm behind schedule.  And this one is really long for a one-day write.  This is why I say play 04 and not day 04...

So the idea of a dead wedding is something I got from theatre artist Tadeusz Kantor in his piece called Weidepole Weidepole, where is deceased parents (images he borrows from old photographs) are experiencing their wedding day.  I've rolled the idea of someone marrying someone else who is already dead round for a while.  thought I'd try it out here.

Some of the details in the play are vague - like exactly why this is all happening.

The idea of the priest as a former associate of the groom was something that just occurred to me as I was writing.  It became central to the play, oddly enough.

to write this one, I am in my usual spot, at the dining room table, headphones in.  Listened to the Swell Season song "I Have Loved You Wrong" on repeat - possibly about 30 times.

And I rushed the ending.  Just had to get done with it.  It's really late right now.  And, ideally, I was going to write #5 tonight as well and get caught up...

No comments:

Post a Comment