Friday, August 10, 2012

About... June Leaving Mule put Galaxy in a Precarious Position - Day 09


June Leaving Mule put Galaxy in a Precarious Position - script.
*contains strong language

Day 09 - a two play day.  I got into this one.

I'm generally not a fan of writing really strong language - I usually avoid it if I can.  Often when doing a free-write (the way all of these plays are for me), I'll come across a moment where the language seems appropriate at the time, but it will rarely make it through any kind of revision - either by changing the dialogue or ultimately abandoning the play.  But without the time for much of an editing process on this project, there it is...

I am satisfied that it is within a story that has an overall understanding of the idea of grace, and the result of a failure to forgive.  After the month of August is over, this is a piece that I might try to do something with - a rewrite, or an expansion of the idea (and perhaps find another way to express the disgust that is intended by the language).

Names just kind of came to me.  I don't know if I like him being called Mule, but I couldn't think of any other name I liked for him.  Makes me pity him even more.

I'm more and more drawn to these kinds of scenarios - dealing with the past, characters who are there and not there/ versions of the way one person remembers them.  I think I'm going to lock into this style for the next couple of days...

This one was written at the dining room table - with the help of the song Give Me Strength by Over the Rhine.

No comments:

Post a Comment