Friday, August 3, 2012

About... House of Cards - Day 01


The first of my 31... plays is titled House of Cards - a period piece where a husband returns after being gone for months to earn money to pay a debt, and discovers that his wife has moved on.

Shannon and I had gone for breakfast at Brent's Drugs - a great little diner in Jackson (it's in the movie The Help).  I stuck around afterwards to write, and with the mid-century vibe and 1940s big band music playing, it seemed only natural to write it in period.

As with most things I write (especially these short, quick writing stints), I don't have any grand vision of where the story came from or what it means.  I like the tension of the piece.  Not sure I'm crazy about it - I think I was trying to hard to twist it back on itself and try to make it surprising, only ending up not making it that surprising.

But it's day one, and hopefully we only move up from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment